Thursday, November 6, 2008

Camel filters

Until you work out that no Emirati is actually shown, you could be forgiven for thinking one half of this photo has it in for my theory that the people of Abu Dhabi are uncommonly attractive.

A man would say this, or at least the majority of men would, but the women look especially fetching even when you can see so little of them.

No one has ever been known to consult Salut! for fashion tips.

But this site knows what it likes and finds it easy to conclude that the design of abayas has been perfected to reach beyond self-evident discretion with an eye-catching blend of elegance and sex appeal. I also caught myself remarking the other day, in all innocence, on how handsome Emirati men seem to be.

You see proof of all this when visiting any of the big brash shopping malls, where store after store stocks the most stylish of traditional clothes. And the groups of white-clad local men and slim young women in their black robes have a distinct visual edge over gangs of hoodies and apprentice fag-ash Lils in Identikit British arcades.
The seasoned expat who is my essential guide to Abu Dhabi says she finds men either unattractive or "stunning", with no half measures. "But a good looking Emirati in his dishdash certainly cuts a very fine figure."

My own encounter with local dress custom came during a desert trip at the weekend. The ruddy cheeks have nothing to do with the alcohol unexpectedly on sale (later) with the meal, everything to do with having caught a spot of sun on the beach earlier in the day.

But that same new friend has seen the damning photographic evidence and is unimpressed. "I'd kill that off straight away if I were you," she said cruelly. I suspect she has me in my mind when applying her judgement of male looks to the British?

No comments: